Located 21 km from Plomari, Ampelikon or “Vakcheon” (the ancient name) is hidden in luxuriant, virgin vegetation. Originally the village was built in the beautiful location of Rougkada but a pirate attack during the 19th century forced the inhabitants to move to its present location. In the center of the village and until 1921 there was a tower, which used to be 21 meters tall.

The village is surrounded by cobble-paved streets, which lead to the south where there’s the war memorial and Saint Nikolas church. A small museum with a collection of folk and religious art can also be found there.